Contact: Katryn Conlin, Communications Director
Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical
For immediate release
Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical student receives Mark M. Welter World Citizen Award and $500 Scholarship
Red Wing, MN (November 12, 2013)- Twenty students from Minnesota State Colleges and Universities have been selected to receive Mark M. Welter World Citizen Awards with $500 to be used for tuition, fees, and books during the 2013-2014 academic year.
Congratulations to Gina Berardo, a Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical student currently enrolled in Criminal Justice studies in Red Wing. She was nominated by instructor Karen Fettig, who says, "As soon as I found out about the World Citizen award, I immediately thought of Gina. She has taken so many people here under her wing - she is very accepting of people from all walks of life. She brings her broad base of life experiences to the college in ways that help bring people together, serving as Student Senate President and co-president of Phi Theta Kappa. This recognition is well deserved!"
Through the generosity of Dr. Mark Welter, the award provides an annual tribute to Minnesota State Colleges and Universities students who most exemplify the thoughts, words and actions demanded by a 21st century world citizen. Award recipients are nominated by college/university faculty and staff and share some or all of the following beliefs/commitments:
- All people are of a common species who share a common adventure in a common home.
- The world shares common problems (pollution, terrorism, challenges) but views them through differing cultural and religious value perspectives.
- All citizens of planet Earth mutually share an interconnected, fragile biosphere.
- All people-all cultures, all creeds, all colors, and all countries-have been "depositors and withdrawers at the world bank of knowledge."
- Our world is increasingly, inexorably, and undeniably interdependent.
- No one nation, people, region, or creed can unilaterally deal with contemporary challenges of pollution, population, poverty, pandemics, and peace.
For more information on the Mark M. Welter World Citizen Award or to contribute to the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Foundation, contact Carmen Shields, Director of Development and Marketing at Carmen.email@example.com or 651-201-1566.
For a high resolution photograph of Gina Berdardo, please contact Katryn Conlin, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical
With a clear mission of "Education for Employment," Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical provides students a strong foundation for acquiring the knowledge, skills, and attitudes they will need for a lifetime of learning. Its Winona and Red Wing campuses merged in 1992, becoming Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical in 1999. For more information, visit www.southeastmn.edu.