Associate of Arts Degree General Requirements for Sociology Transfer Pathway
- A minimum of 60 semester credits.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- A minimum cumulative MnTC GPA of 2.0.
- A minimum of 20 semester credits applied toward the degree must be taken at Minnesota State College Southeast.
- Completion of the specific degree requirements below:
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) Requirements -- A minimum of 40 credits to complete all 10 goal areas. A MnTC course may satisfy more than one goal area, however, the credits only count once.
Core Goal Areas
Goal 1 Communication (Three courses) - 9 credits
- ENGL1215 College Writing 1 (3 credits)
- ENGL2525 College Writing 2 (3 credits)
- COMM1218 College Speech OR COMM1228 Interpersonal Communications
Goal 2 Critical Thinking (met when 40 MnTC credits satisfying all 10 goal areas has been completed)
Goal 3 Natural Science (Two science courses from at least two different subject areas. One course must have a traditional lab and the other must have a traditional lab or lab-like experience.) - 6-8 credits
Goal 4 Mathematical/Logical Reasoning (One course) - 3 credits
- MATH1230 Introduction to Statistics (3 credits)
Goal 5 History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences (Three courses from at least two different subject areas) - 9 credits
- SOCS1110 Introduction to SOCIOLOGY (3 credits)
- PSYC1110 Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- HIST2525 Minnesota History (3 credits)
Goal 6 The Humanities and Fine Arts (3 courses from at least two different subject areas) - 9 credits
- HUMA1125 Moral Problems (3 credits)
- HUMA1435 Multicultural America (3 credits)
- SPAN1230 Introduction to Hispanic Cultures (3 credits)
Theme Goal Areas
Goal 7 Human Diversity (One course) - 3 credits
Goal 8 Global Perspective (One course) - 3 credits
- (Met by HUMA1435 Multicultural America)
- (Met by SPAN1230 Introduction to Hispanic Cultures)
Goal 9 Ethical and Civic Responsibility (One course) - 3 credits
- (Met by HUMA1125 Moral Problems)
Goal 10 People and the Environment (One course) -3 credits
- (Met by HIST2525 Minnesota History)
Total minimum credits to complete the MnTC ten goal areas: 40 credits
In addition to completing the MnTC, the remaining 20 credits will include:
• Health and Wellness Requirement, 2 credits
• Technology Requirement, 2 credits
Restricted Electives, 13 credits (select coursework appropriate to the student's anticipated transfer program)
- SOCS1205 Sociology of the Family (3 credits)
- SOCS2525 Social Deviance (3 credits)
- SOCS2545 Diversity and Social Change (3 credits)
- PSYC2531 Social Psychology (3 credits)
- INSP1525 Career and Educational Planning (1 credit)
Additional Electives, 3 credits (select coursework appropriate to the student's anticipated transfer program).