Step 2: Test
Next-Generation Accuplacer Placement Testing
All Minnesota State Colleges administer the Classic or Next-Generation Accuplacer test as part of the enrollment and placement process. MSC Southeast requires the Next-Gen Reading Accuplacer.
- Not all enrolling students are required to take the Next-Gen Accuplacer - check to see if you are exempt.
- The Math Accuplacer is not required for most programs. However, if you choose not to take the math test, you will be placed in a developmental math class. The only way to advance place in math is to provide a math placement score in ACT, SAT, MCA or Next-Gen Accuplacer (see Placement Test Scores).
- The Math Accuplacer is required for students entering Band Instrument Repair, Guitar Repair & Building, and Violin Repair.
Be sure to take the Accuplacer test very seriously. MSC Southeast has mandatory placement. These scores will place you in the appropriate level math and English courses. If you perform well on the test you are likely to save a great deal of time and money on your education! Be ready for the tests - see below for more information on preparing for the Next-Gen Accuplacer.
Please schedule your appointment for the Next-Gen Accuplacer test online. Use our online scheduling system to see the full schedule of available appointments for each campus.
If you'd rather schedule on the phone or in person, stop by the reception desk or call us at:
- Winona: 507-453-2700
- Red Wing: 651-385-6300
For students who need to take the Next-Gen Accuplacer out of the state or out of the country, please download instructions: Distance Accuplacer Testing (PDF)
Taking the Next-Generation Accuplacer Test
- Show up 15 minutes early
- Bring a valid photo ID (driver's license, ID card, resident card, passport)
- Check in at the front desk
More information about Accuplacer can be found at our FAQs page.
Preparing For the Next-Generation Accuplacer
Understanding Your Placement Score
After your test, the test proctor will be available to help answer your questions and explain your placement scores. Our detailed Placement Test Score Chart is also available for review and reference.
Students who may need accommodations for placement tests because of a disability should contact Disability Services at 651-385-6309.