SALARY: $15.81 - $20.77 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 02/27/17
CLOSING DATE: 03/24/17 04:30PM
Winona County currently has openings for
Office Support Specialists. The closing date for
receipt of applications isMarch24, 2017.
However, Winona County will give preference to those who submit their applications by March 15th and pass the exam administered on March 23rd (you must sign up to take the test on March 23rd). Applicants may be considered who apply between March 16th and
March 24th and pass the exam administered on April 7th. To be considered you must submit an application through MN Merit and must
be eligible for appointment by the MN Merit
System. To apply, click here. Additionally, interested individuals shall also submit a letter of interest and resume to the attention of Maureen Holte, Assistant County
Administrator/Personnel Director, Winona
County Government Center, 177
Main Street, Winona, MN 55987 (507)457-6352 or fax: (507)454-9366.
general supervision an employee at this level
is characterized by responsibility for a fairly complex and important function, or subject matter within a department. A good knowledge of general office methods and
equipment and of the
functions and procedures of the department are essential. Skills in communicating with others are often important in positions in this class.Typing may involve
technical terminology or the ability to design and layout reports, but the level
of related responsibility is the governing factor in allocation to this level. An employee in this classification must have sufficient knowledge to be the primary reference source on the
assigned subject and the ability to analyze and resolve a variety of work problems.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Any one position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples listed in their relative order of importance, include all duties that may be found in positions of this class.
straight copy from rough drafts, correct forms or transcription. Prepares materials for duplications. Makes tables, graphs,charts or diagrams, based
on data supplied from other
sources using typewriter, PC, pen, or pencil. Makes preparations and adjustments to ready typewriter and
like equipment and otherwise perform routine maintenance of those machines.
• Classifies informational material correspondence, special forms, records, orders,and other items following method designed by department. Sets up files and/or codes, indexes, tabs, or otherwise prepares classified material for filing
or identification using department system.
• Maintains systematic filing system.
• Composes correspondence requiring specific knowledge of methods, procedures, policies, or other information. Checks standard forms and/or correspondence for inaccuracies of spelling,
punctuation, grammar, spacing, or general appearance.
simple or routine entries in record books or on special or standard forms by longhand or some type of office
ordinary calculations requiring more than one step, with or without using a machine. Makes out various routine forms such as checks, receipts, invoices, for letter addresses, or other items, according to designated procedures by longhand or use of office machine.
• Reads incoming correspondence to determine destination. Anticipates need of supported officials
and gathers records,letters or other specific information that might be wanted. Arranges for appointments and meetings by consulting a list, time schedule,or other record, or by contacting, directly or indirectly, the persons concerned.
• May maintain state
and county client databases.
• Answers questions and
requested directions, or information, personally or by telephone.
• Explains details of services, methods or policies and refers applicants, clients or other individuals
to appropriate personnel. Obtains necessary or desired information, authorizations, approvals, signatures, or other data from customers/ supervisors, or other individuals. Assists individuals in completing necessary forms. Helps train new
• Any other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Any combination of training and experience providing the following knowledge, skills,and abilities, listed in their relative order of importance.
For Full Performance
• Considerable knowledge of modem office procedures, practices, and equipment.
• Knowledge and accuracy of arithmetic computations.
• Knowledge and accuracy in the use of the English language and
• Ability to establish and/or maintain effective filing system.
• Ability to compile data
and prepare reports from such data.
• Ability to compose correspondence requiring the application of knowledge of methods, procedures, policies
and other information.
• Ability to make
decisions in accordance with laws and departmental policies and procedures.
• Ability to schedule and interrupt work in order to meet deadlines or coordinate with other
• Arithmetic skills with no errors using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
• Accuracy in making routine bookkeeping entries, in filling out business forms and spelling, punctuation, and grammar, both orally and written.
• Ability to make accurate comparisons of verbal and numerical data.
• Ability to type
• Ability to interact with
employees in a respectful and efficient manner.
• Knowledge of the
and technical forms and terminology of the area of specialization.
• Skilled in the
use of office
equipment required in the area of specialization.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to
graduation from high school
and three years of increasingly responsible general clerical experience.
There is considerable opportunity for independent judgment and decision-making that have
effect of finality in most cases. Errors could have an adverse effect on the department's public relations or in the expenditure of time and money. An employee at this level may be expected to exercise a critical approach to their regular routines and make suggestions for improvement.
Safety and Training Requirements
The County expects each individual employee to cooperate in every respect with
Safety Program so that the operations may be carried on in such a manner as to ensure the
of all employees. The
employee's responsibility is to be consistent with OSHA regulations, the Winona County Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual,the countywide safety rules, department safety rules, and specific job
Maintain a positive work
atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
For full job classification including ADA requirements,click here.
APPLICATIONSMAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: