Distance Learning at MSC Southeast
Welcome to Distance Learning at Minnesota State College Southeast. The reasons for choosing distance learning are as varied as the students themselves.
Regardless of your reasons for choosing distance education, its flexible nature is appropriate for those who are self-motivated and driven to succeed. Though the resources you will need can all be found online, we encourage you to visit the campus and meet with us regarding your needs and interests. You are an integral part of the college and we’re glad you have chosen MSC Southeast to further your educational experience.
Distance learning is available when the instructor and student are not able to be in the same location at the same time. It provides more flexibility and convenience by limiting the amount of face-to-face time needed to complete coursework. There are many types of distance learning courses. MSC Southeast utilizes interactive television and online learning as well. There are two types of online courses:
Fully Online Courses
- All course requirements can be completed at a distance
- There are no on-campus meetings, except for perhaps one meeting at the beginning of the course
- May require proctored tests in a secured environment either at the college campus or at a suitable educational center (e.g., college, library)
- Majority of the course requirements can be completed at a distance
- Courses may require on-campus meetings or labs
Learn more about the hybrid course environment
Learn more about Desire2Learn (D2L), and try it yourself!
There is a misconception that online courses are independent study. While readings and assignments are typically completed asynchronously (anytime and anyplace), there are deadlines for assignments and may be set times, dates, and pre-approved locations for proctored exams. In addition, there may be occasions where students will be working in groups. In most cases, courses begin with the start of the semester or term and continue throughout the term.