704 - Emergency Evacuations
Responsible Office: Facilities
Responsible Officer: Vice President of Finance and Administration
PURPOSE: This policy was developed to provide a guide for students, faculty, staff, and visitors in the event of an emergency situation and an evacuation of the Minnesota State College Southeast (MSCS) owned or controlled properties need to take place.
Part 1: Policy
Each Campus has an Emergency Response Guide as well as an Emergency Evacuation floor plan located by the door in main offices and classrooms. The evacuation plan addresses fire, weather-related emergencies or active threat emergencies. Senior campus administrators or their designees shall be responsible for initiating actions in accordance with the evacuation plan.
Part 2: Procedure
- Remain calm and exit the building.
- Persons who are mobility or sensory impaired should be accompanied and assisted in exiting the building.
- Advise all visitors and guests in your area that an evacuation is in effect.
- DO NOT block vestibules or doors. Move out of the way of emergency personnel entering the buildings.
- Leave the building immediately.
- DO NOT try to return to the building until an "all clear" is given by the building authority.
It is the responsibility of each employee to know the nearest exit route. MSCS Administration recommends individual students, staff, and faculty locate alternative emergency exits in case you are not located in your typical MSCS environment.
If you have guests in the building, be sure to assist them with evacuation. They may not be familiar with the building and will need your assistance.
Approved: April 28, 1997
Reviewed: October 23, 2013; September 30, 2020
Revised: February 15, 2000; June 30, 2004; September 29, 2008; December 28, 2010; September 30, 2020