Contact: Katryn Conlin, Communications Director
For Immediate Release
16 area high school students graduated from Minnesota State College Southeast with certificates, degrees in May 2020
Winona and Red Wing, MN (June 3, 2020) -- Minnesota State College Southeast is proud to announce that among the Class of 2020 were 16 high school students who graduated with college level credentials. These certificates and degrees were made possible by the PSEO (Post Secondary Enrollment Opportunities) program at the college.
Through PSEO, 10th, 11th and 12th grade high school students earn both high school and college credit for college-level courses completed on a college campus, at a high school, or at another location.
"Students can complete a certificate or even a full two-year degree prior to high school graduation, allowing them to go straight into the workforce or start at an advanced standing at a four-year university," said Jeannie Meidlinger, MSC Southeast Director of Secondary Relations.
Four area high school students earned two-year college degrees while still in high school:
- Mira Rodriguez, Red Wing, MN: Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences, High Honors**
- Samuel Hager, Wabasha, MN: Associate of Applied Science in Construction Technology, Honors*
- Joshua Hagar, Wabasha, MN: Associate of Applied Science in Construction Technology
- Damian Powers, Kellogg, MN: Associate of Applied Science in Cyber and Information Security
** High Honors GPA: 3.75-4.00 | * Honors GPA: 3.50-3.74
Twelve area high school students earned shorter-term certificates:
- Stefan Escobar, Houston, MN: Certificate in Automotive Technology Foundations
- Lorenz Buchanan, Rushford, MN: Certificate in Automotive Technology Foundations
- Cameron Soukup, Winona, MN: Certificate in Diesel Maintenance
- Ethan Atkinson, Peterson, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Seth Beck, Winona, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Aaron Billing, La Crescent, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Carlos Horton, Rushford, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Dwight Kerns, La Crescent, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Ethan Kumpf, Caledonia, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Dylan Lee, Wabasha, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Abraham Stemper, Caledonia, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
- Wyatt Wieser, Houston, MN: Certificate in Prototype Engineering
Certificates like these can lead directly to employment or give students a head start in their college endeavors. "For example, the Prototype Engineering Certificate provides high school students with nearly one semester of cost-free college credits, saving them both valuable time and money if they choose to pursue a diploma in MSC Southeast's CNC Machine Tool program after graduation," said Calvin Clemons, Director of Trade and Technology.
Because PSEO classes are tuition-free for high school students, they offer a tremendous opportunity, noted MSC Southeast Vice President of Academic Affairs Chad Dull. "PSEO opens doors to young people and makes college not just a dream, but an achievable reality."
About Minnesota State College Southeast
Minnesota State College Southeast is a two-year technical and community college that prepares students for a lifetime of learning by providing education for employment, skill enhancement, retraining, and transfer, to meet the needs of students and the community. The Winona campus opened in 1949, merging with the Red Wing campus in 1992 and updating its name to Minnesota State College Southeast in 2016 with the change of mission to offer both technical training and the associate of arts degree. Minnesota State College Southeast is a member of Minnesota State. For more information, visit www.southeastmn.edu.