If you plan to seek a degree, diploma, or certificate, Academic Advising will help you make informed decisions, feel confident about your plans, make the most of your education, and complete your degree as efficiently as possible. All students are assigned an academic advisor who is knowledgeable in their program area of study. These advisors make time prior to Registration to meet with students and help them in academic planning.
It is important to be properly prepared before you meet with your academic advisor. The information provided below will aid you in this preparation.
We recommend that you plan how you will complete your degree as soon as you are accepted to the college. Full-time students and part-time students, as well as those transferring in courses, should discuss a completion strategy with their advisor. Be aware that many courses have prerequisites, so plan accordingly.
- Print and review your DARS report (available through eServices, see below)
- Use your DARS to review your specific program plan (For general information, go to Programs of Study > your specific program > your specific major offering)
- Review your Accuplacer scores to select appropriate coursework. (See: Future Students > Testing > ACCUPLACER Placement Test Scores)
- Review transfer options and be prepared to discuss them with your advisor.
Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)
The Degree Audit Reporting system (DARS) is designed to help students identify and understand current academic requirements for certificate, diploma and degree completion. A DARS report lists all college requirements for a student's program of study to help the student plan and monitor progress by indicating courses already completed, both at MSC Southeast and in transferred courses.
- Your DARS report is available through eServices. Log in in to eServices with your StarID and Password. Click on "Academic Records" from the left-hand menu. Click on "Degree Audit."
- To better understand your degree audit, download these additional resources: