Skip to main content
Minnesota State College Southeast
A Technical & Community College
Grants and Scholarships

Financial Aid - Grants

Federal Pell Grant (Pell)

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are need based and awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. (A professional degree is usually earned after earning a bachelor's degree in a field such as medicine, law, or dentistry).

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are gift aid for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFCs will be the first to get FSEOGs, which don't have to be paid back. These grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree.

For more information about Federal Grants, visit the U.S. Department of Education's Student Financial Assistance Web site at

Minnesota State Grant (MNSG)

The Minnesota State Grant Program provides undergraduate students with assistance in meeting the cost of attendance at eligible Minnesota public and private post-secondary institutions of their choice. Each academic year, MHESO determines which schools will be eligible according to criteria in the program rules. Program funds are allocated to MHESO by the state legislature. A small percentage of program funding is appropriated by the federal government under the Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) program.

To receive a State Grant, the student must attend an eligible Minnesota post-secondary institution for at least 3 credits per term, demonstrate financial need (as defined in Minnesota Statutes 136A.121, Subd. 5), and meet several other eligibility requirements outlined in the 'Eligibility Requirements' section of this manual. A student may receive a State Grant for any year of undergraduate study unless the student fails to meet the program eligibility requirements.

Minnesota Residents: FAFSA's must be received by the Federal Central Processing System within 30 calendar days of the semester start date in order to be eligible for a possible Minnesota State Grant.

The amount of the student's State Grant is determined as follows:

State Grant Budget
(tuition and fees plus living and miscellaneous expense allowance)


Student Share of at least 46% of the State Grant Budget


Parent Contribution or Student Contribution


Pell Grant Award


State Grant (minimum award of $100)

(See also Appendix 8 - Shared Responsibility Formula)
(MHESO, 7, 2001, p. 2)

For more information on Minnesota State Grant Programs, check out the Minnesota Higher Education Services Office Web site at

Minnesota Post-Secondary Child Care Grant

The Minnesota P-SCC Grant is designed to provide financial assistance to students with financial need pursuing a post-secondary education, who require child care assistance for their dependent children and do not receive funds from the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP). (MHESO, 7-01, p. 1), or you may download the Child Care Grant Program Application (37 kb) from our site.


© 2022 Minnesota State College Southeast

RED WING CAMPUS | 308 Pioneer Road | Red Wing, MN 55066
WINONA CAMPUS | 1250 Homer Road | Winona, MN 55987
COLLEGE PHONE | 507-453-2700 | 877-853-8324

Minnesota State College Southeast is an affirmative action/equal opportunity educator and employer. ADA accessible. MSC Southeast is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment and education opportunity. No person shall be discriminated against in the terms and conditions of employment, personnel practices, or access to and participation in, programs, services, and activities with regard to race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or sexual orientation. In addition, discrimination in employment based on membership or activity in a local commission as defined by law is prohibited.


This document is available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 507-453-2700.

Minnnesota State Logo - vertical

Minnesota State College Southeast
A member of Minnesota State